Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Joao
Hello everyone!

I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on my unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a cheap Media-C usb soundcard  (kinda slow but it works!).

I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok? The newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but maybe and older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql will do the job?

Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts would be very much appreciated...
Salut!
J. Miranda

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

threeeyedtoad-2
Getting Ampache (and possible Amarok) running on a Slug sounds like an
achievement... I wasn't able to get a good streaming solution running on
the Slug, due to the lack of a FPU (most transcoding solutions require it).

I tried using MPD's built-in streaming capability, but again, the
transcoding requirements were a deal breaker.  As a result, I cobbled
together a Perl-based solution that allows me to take playlists created in
MPD and use them to feed MP3s to an Icecast server for streaming mp3s over
HTTP.  The Perl scripts have allowed me to cobble a solution together using
ices as the glue between MPD and Icecast.  This solution basically just
dumps the MP3 to Icecast without any transcoding.

These links describe the solution in adequate detail:

http://wiki.yobi.be/wiki/Webradio
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Hack:ices-client
http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.IcecastOnTheNSLU2

Very curious to hear about your experiences with Ampache and Amarok.

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, Joao wrote:

> **
>

> Hello everyone!
>
> I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on
> my unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a
> cheap Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).
>
> I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok?
> The newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but
> maybe and older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql will do the job?
>
> Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts
> would be very much appreciated...
> Salut!
> J. Miranda

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

areitz18
I had the thought that ampache even without transcoding is quite
ressource hungry (i only used it for http streaming via webfrontend and
android client) due to use of php and mysql.
So i sat down and developed a little tool in c++ that scans a directory
for mp3 and flac (other formats could easily be added) using taglib and
libmagick and stores the information in a sqlite database.
After the scanning i implemented a little webserver (using mongoose)
through which access is possible (getAlbums, getAlbum with json and
obviously streamTrack).
Till now i only worked one night at it, but its more than enough for me
(i developed a little android frontend, too), as i only use it to stream
a whole album to my tablet when i go to bed.
Maybe you wanna join development? In my imagination its quite a nice
project (i did it to refresh my c++ skills)

greets

Am 17.04.2013 16:39, schrieb M.J. Johnson:

> Getting Ampache (and possible Amarok) running on a Slug sounds like an
> achievement... I wasn't able to get a good streaming solution running
> on the Slug, due to the lack of a FPU (most transcoding solutions
> require it).
>

> I tried using MPD's built-in streaming capability, but again, the
> transcoding requirements were a deal breaker.  As a result, I cobbled
> together a Perl-based solution that allows me to take
> playlists created in MPD and use them to feed MP3s to an Icecast
> server for streaming mp3s over HTTP.  The Perl scripts have allowed me
> to cobble a solution together using ices as the glue between MPD and
> Icecast.  This solution basically just dumps the MP3 to Icecast
> without any transcoding.
>
> These links describe the solution in adequate detail:
>
> http://wiki.yobi.be/wiki/Webradio
> http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Hack:ices-client
> http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.IcecastOnTheNSLU2
> <http://www.757.org/%7Ejoat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.IcecastOnTheNSLU2>
>
> Very curious to hear about your experiences with Ampache and Amarok.
>
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, Joao wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone!
>
>     I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client)
>     running on my unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi
>     speakers through a cheap Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it
>     works!).
>
>     I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player
>     Amarok? The newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on
>     ipkg's repo), but maybe and older version (just like Ampache) that
>     uses mysql will do the job?
>
>     Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful)
>     attempts would be very much appreciated...
>     Salut!
>     J. Miranda

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Joao
Hi, Threeeyedtoad!

Thank you for your feedback!

I'm surprised with your trouble about the transcoding thing. I got Ampache up and running on my slug almost 'out of the box', i.e., the only thing I had to manually insert at the the ampache's config file (ampache.conf.php) was the newly created database password (see below); the transcoding section was left untouched with it's default values...

I'm sure any more experienced user than me (I have a scarce, just very basic knowledge of linux) will get at least the same or even better results. So, if you're interested in running ampache on your slug, I think you should give it another try:

1) Just pick and install from ampache's project download page the older, 3.5.4, version (https://github.com/ampache/ampache/tree/3.5.4) and not the newest one; I use lighttpd as the webserver and I installed ampache files under lighttpd folder; ampache reacts reasonably fast in both cases -- when you try to access it from a local address and from the wan side as well (provided you get some sort of a working dns service.

2) Make sure you have on your unslung slug a working version of MPD and all related software (most of them installed at the same time); and also: mysql, php (plus some php modules indicated at ampache's install page) and maybe phpmyadmin as well -- you might need it! At least, in my case, the only way it worked for me in order to finish the instalation process (web based) and get a working config file was to edit the new user database (created on 1th stage during install) using phpmyadmin; that allowed me to assign it a password and finally get a successfull login at ampache's login webpage. No need to edit ampache.conf.php file after that (at least for the basic features to work).

3) finally, be patient with the beast (ampache) and the slug: after clicking one of those green buttons at ampache web interface in order to send an item (or an entire album) to the playlist (in 'local play mode' and through a wireless connection) I usually have to wait 10-15 secs before the poor slug starts to output the music to the hi-fi system... but then it works just fine, no gaps, including the album art and the other randomization features!

Finally, concerning Amarok, I guess I'd better drop that idea -- I cannot figure a way to install it on unslung... Maybe you could suggest something? Once again, thanks for the feedback and for the links!
Salut!
Joao

--- In [hidden email], "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

> Getting Ampache (and possible Amarok) running on a Slug sounds like an
> achievement... I wasn't able to get a good streaming solution running on
> the Slug, due to the lack of a FPU (most transcoding solutions require it).
>
> I tried using MPD's built-in streaming capability, but again, the
> transcoding requirements were a deal breaker.  As a result, I cobbled
> together a Perl-based solution that allows me to take playlists created in
> MPD and use them to feed MP3s to an Icecast server for streaming mp3s over
> HTTP.  The Perl scripts have allowed me to cobble a solution together using
> ices as the glue between MPD and Icecast.  This solution basically just
> dumps the MP3 to Icecast without any transcoding.
>
> These links describe the solution in adequate detail:
>
> http://wiki.yobi.be/wiki/Webradio
> http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Hack:ices-client
> http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.IcecastOnTheNSLU2
>
> Very curious to hear about your experiences with Ampache and Amarok.
>
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, Joao wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on
> > my unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a
> > cheap Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).
> >
> > I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok?
> > The newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but
> > maybe and older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql will do the job?
> >
> > Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts
> > would be very much appreciated...
> > Salut!
> > J. Miranda

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

threeeyedtoad-2
Ah, now I think I understand.  You're using Ampache to browse and playback
audio locally via the USB audio device.  I thought you were successfully
streaming audio using Ampache to an HTTP client.  That's the part that's
tricky with the Slug (you need to figure out how to either avoid
transcoding, or transcode using integer math exclusively - floating point
processing will bring the meager Slug to a crawl).

I'm more than happy with MPD and native clients (I use MPoD and MPaD for
iOS) to manage playback, though I do have a web front-end running as well
(the delightfully usable and lightweight RelaXX - the AJAX implementation
is quite adequate).