Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Joao
Hello everyone!

I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on my
unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a cheap
Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).

I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok? The
newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but maybe an
older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql (and not mysql5) will do the job?

Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts would
be very much appreciated...
Salut!
J. Miranda

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Anthony Takata
Hmm. Well if the requirement for mysql5 is just for names sake, you can
certainly try it with mysql 4, which is in the repo. If the app is smart
enough, which version of mysql you have shouldn't really matter.
On Apr 17, 2013 11:16 AM, "Joao" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Hello everyone!
>
> I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on
> my
> unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a cheap
> Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).
>
> I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok?
> The
> newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but
> maybe an
> older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql (and not mysql5) will do
> the job?
>
> Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts
> would
> be very much appreciated...
> Salut!
> J. Miranda

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Joao

Hi, Anthony Takata! Thanks for your feedback!

In fact, mysql version that works with Ampache 3.4.5 on the unslung slug is actually version 4 (more prec.: v.4.1.22-3); it is incompatible with mysql5, which is a different software (ipkg will warn you about that at install if it detects that you have already one of them installed )...

Have you ever tried to install/run Amarok on the slug? If yes, could you share that how-to) Also, which webclient for use with mpd would you recommend?

Cheers
João

--- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

> Hmm. Well if the requirement for mysql5 is just for names sake, you can
> certainly try it with mysql 4, which is in the repo. If the app is smart
> enough, which version of mysql you have shouldn't really matter.
> On Apr 17, 2013 11:16 AM, "Joao" <j-mir@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on
> > my
> > unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a cheap
> > Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).
> >
> > I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok?
> > The
> > newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but
> > maybe an
> > older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql (and not mysql5) will do
> > the job?
> >
> > Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts
> > would
> > be very much appreciated...
> > Salut!
> > J. Miranda

Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

Anthony Takata
According to my information found using Google, Amarok seems to be a GUI
application. Unfortunately, the slug is usually not able to handle GUI
applications much more complex than a text editor or terminal. If you would
be using the slug as just a database slave, that might work with a little
configuring, but I personally have not delved into that subject.

I actually have also similarly not heard of mpd either, I'm assuming you're
talking about Music Player Daemon. For a client, this would mean I have no
opinion, as I don't have it in any case. ;)

If memory serves, getting MySQL5 to work correctly requires a lot of
finesse, as many of the binaries seg-fault when trying to run them, so
configuration basically takes place off of the slug and you move the files
back for running. Last time I tried migrating over though I lost most of my
databases to corruption so if you already have MySQL4 I would highly
recommend backing things up before trying!