Quantcast

Can Unslung be used with USB 3.0

philip.frecon
Hi, I've checked Google and all the search forums, but can't find any information on USB 3.0.

I'm strictly using Unslung as a NAS.  The original NSLU2 with stock firmware is only available with USB 2.0.  Does Unslung support USB 3.0?  I'm doing everything I can to increase my upload/download speeds for file sharing.  I was just wondering if this would work?

Thanks and take care.

Re: Can Unslung be used with USB 3.0

echomrg
I might be wrong but considering that the hardware on the NSLU2 only
supports USB 2.0 you should be able to read from USB 3.0 drives (it's
backward compatible) but won't get any kind of speed improvement,
especially considering that the NSLU2 CPU is already heavily taxed handling
USB 2.0 speeds and that the network interface still works at 100MBps, far
below even USB 2.0 maximum theoretical speed of 480MBps.

Regards,
Marcello

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM, philip.frecon <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi, I've checked Google and all the search forums, but can't find any
> information on USB 3.0.
>
> I'm strictly using Unslung as a NAS.  The original NSLU2 with stock
> firmware is only available with USB 2.0.  Does Unslung support USB 3.0?
>  I'm doing everything I can to increase my upload/download speeds for file
> sharing.  I was just wondering if this would work?
>
> Thanks and take care.

Cordiali saluti e ossequi
- Marcello -

Re: Can Unslung be used with USB 3.0

Mike Westerhof (mwester)
USB 3.0 is a hardware feature, and the NLSU2 predates that considerably.
  A USB 3.0 device will fall-back to the 2.0 protocol and speeds when
plugged into the NSLU2 -- regardless of the firmware installed on the NSLU2.
-Mike (mwester)

On 4/16/2013 5:54 AM, philip.frecon wrote:
> Hi, I've checked Google and all the search forums, but can't find any information on USB 3.0.
>
> I'm strictly using Unslung as a NAS.  The original NSLU2 with stock firmware is only available with USB 2.0.  Does Unslung support USB 3.0?  I'm doing everything I can to increase my upload/download speeds for file sharing.  I was just wondering if this would work?
>
> Thanks and take care.

Re: Can Unslung be used with USB 3.0

philip.frecon
Great.  Thanks.  It definately read the USB 3.0 drive.  Just didn't see any improvement with the tests I ran.  Thanks.

phil

I might be wrong but considering that the hardware on the NSLU2 only
supports USB 2.0 you should be able to read from USB 3.0 drives (it's
backward compatible) but won't get any kind of speed improvement,
especially considering that the NSLU2 CPU is already heavily taxed handling
USB 2.0 speeds and that the network interface still works at 100MBps, far
below even USB 2.0 maximum theoretical speed of 480MBps.

Regards,
Marcello

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM, philip.frecon <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi, I've checked Google and all the search forums, but can't find any
> information on USB 3.0.
>
> I'm strictly using Unslung as a NAS. The original NSLU2 with stock
> firmware is only available with USB 2.0. Does Unslung support USB 3.0?
> I'm doing everything I can to increase my upload/download speeds for file
> sharing. I was just wondering if this would work?
>
> Thanks and take care.

Cordiali saluti e ossequi
- Marcello -

Re: Can Unslung be used with USB 3.0

Bill-208
Actually it is slightly worse than that.  The USB 3.0 standard allow for a higher current draw.   As such, with some hardware, you will find it simply won't work at all when plugged into a USB 2.0 port.   A common example is one of those USB 3.0 enclusures for laptop drives that is powered entirely from USB.   I have two of those myself, and I can confirm they won't work.  You'll just get a blinking light indicating an error.   You might be able to use a Y USB cable to supply power, but I haven't tried that.

Bill

--- In [hidden email], "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

> USB 3.0 is a hardware feature, and the NLSU2 predates that considerably.
>   A USB 3.0 device will fall-back to the 2.0 protocol and speeds when
> plugged into the NSLU2 -- regardless of the firmware installed on the NSLU2.
> -Mike (mwester)
>
> On 4/16/2013 5:54 AM, philip.frecon wrote:
> > Hi, I've checked Google and all the search forums, but can't find any information on USB 3.0.
> >
> > I'm strictly using Unslung as a NAS.  The original NSLU2 with stock firmware is only available with USB 2.0.  Does Unslung support USB 3.0?  I'm doing everything I can to increase my upload/download speeds for file sharing.  I was just wondering if this would work?
> >
> > Thanks and take care.

Re: Can Unslung be used with USB 3.0

Ron Guerin
On 04/16/2013 11:17 AM, echo mirage wrote:
> I might be wrong but considering that the hardware on the NSLU2 only
> supports USB 2.0 you should be able to read from USB 3.0 drives (it's
> backward compatible) but won't get any kind of speed improvement,
> especially considering that the NSLU2 CPU is already heavily taxed handling
> USB 2.0 speeds and that the network interface still works at 100MBps, far
> below even USB 2.0 maximum theoretical speed of 480MBps.

Although I'm using an ASUS RT-N16, observations of various file systems
in use (same model drives), lead me to believe the first place to look
for speed improvement would be avoiding use of the NTFS driver.

- Ron

On 04/16/2013 02:26 PM, Bill wrote:
> Actually it is slightly worse than that.  The USB 3.0 standard allow for a higher current draw.   As such, with some hardware, you will find it simply won't work at all when plugged into a USB 2.0 port.   A common example is one of those USB 3.0 enclusures for laptop drives that is powered entirely from USB.   I have two of those myself, and I can confirm they won't work.  You'll just get a blinking light indicating an error.   You might be able to use a Y USB cable to supply power, but I haven't tried that.

I bought a tiny powered USB hub to address power concerns.

- Ron