Goodbye from a moderator

Inge Arnesen
Dear all,

Due to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data I'm
terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate
nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that
could!

all the best,

Bob_tm

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Brian Wood-4
On 6/7/13 1:34 AM, Inge Arnesen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Due
> to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data I'm
> terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate
> nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that
> could!
>
> all the best,
>
> Bob_tm

So I suppose you are disconnecting from the internet and will no longer
use it at all.

This because every major internet company is almost certainly doing the
same thing you are complaining about Yahoo doing.

Governments, especially the US, will continue to "monitor" the internet,
legally or not.

Yahoo and others are simply trying to stay alive. A US company that did
not "cooperate" would suffer the wrath of the government. While I wish
they would stand up to the government and prevent this sort of
unjustifiable spying, it's not going to happen.

I am sorry to see you go, but your stated reason makes no sense, as
there is nowhere to go that does not have the same problem.

All the best.

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Harsh Baste
Its a safe bet that big brother has 100s of more inventive (and far more accurate) ways to monitor you. Cell phones, credit cards, GPS devices, your computer, your (snail) mail, etc. being the obvious ones. When all else fails, they can just monitor you via surveillance cameras all over the city and (now) probably drones.

Closing down your yahoo account is going to be a drop in the ocean if you want to avoid monitoring. To be really effective, I would recommend a deserted island somewhere in the middle of the Arctic sea where you cut off all contact with the outside world and grow your own food (assuming the spy satellites wont get you there either) ;-)

Just remain the moderator will you! This place runs because of people like yourself and we are thankful :-)

-H

________________________________
> terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate
> nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that
> could!
>
> all the best,
>
> Bob_tm

So I suppose you are disconnecting from the internet and will no longer
use it at all.

This because every major internet company is almost certainly doing the
same thing you are complaining about Yahoo doing.

Governments, especially the US, will continue to "monitor" the internet,
legally or not.

Yahoo and others are simply trying to stay alive. A US company that did
not "cooperate" would suffer the wrath of the government. While I wish
they would stand up to the government and prevent this sort of
unjustifiable spying, it's not going to happen.

I am sorry to see you go, but your stated reason makes no sense, as
there is nowhere to go that does not have the same problem.

All the best.

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Drew Gibson
Hi Brian,

thanks for all your efforts over the years in keeping the list alive and well. It was the slug that got me into ARM computing years before it was fashionable and that could not have happened without the invaluable tips and fixes I got from this list.

Others may feel that just because you're f*ck*d you should bend over and wave the white flag but even a token gesture is worthwhile to remind us all of what is coming down the pipe.

"Due to their excellent understanding of the regional topography and bison behaviour, native people hunted bison by stampeding them over a precipice. They then carved up the carcasses and dragged the pieces to be butchered and processed in the butchering camp set up on the flats beyond the cliffs."ref: Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump http://history.alberta.ca/headsmashedin/

I respect your decision and wish you well in your future endeavours.

regards,

Drew

On 07/06/13, Harsh  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its a safe bet that big brother has 100s of more inventive (and far more accurate) ways to monitor you. Cell phones, credit cards, GPS devices, your computer, your (snail) mail, etc. being the obvious ones. When all else fails, they can just monitor you via surveillance cameras all over the city and (now) probably drones.
>
> Closing down your yahoo account is going to be a drop in the ocean if you want to avoid monitoring. To be really effective, I would recommend a deserted island somewhere in the middle of the Arctic sea where you cut off all contact with the outside world and grow your own food (assuming the spy satellites wont get you there either) ;-)
>
> Just remain the moderator will you! This place runs
>  because of people like yourself and we are thankful :-)
>
> -H

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Drew Gibson
I guess Big Brother IS listening. :-} The message below originally included a quotation for all the surrender-monkeys:

On 08/06/13, Drew Gibson  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> I respect your decision and wish you well in your future endeavours.
>

> regards,
>

> Drew
>

> On 07/06/13, Harsh  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > &lt;!--
> >
> > /* start of attachment style */
> >        .ygrp-photo-title{
> >          clear: both;
> >          font-size: smaller;
> >          height: 15px;
> >          overflow: hidden;
> >          text-align: center;
> >          width: 75px;
> >        }
> >        div.ygrp-photo{
> >          background-position: center;
> >          background-repeat: no-repeat;
> >          background-color: white;
> >          border: 1px solid black;
> >          height: 62px;
> >          width: 62px;
> >        }
> >
> >        div.photo-title
> >          a,
> >          div.photo-title a:active,
> >          div.photo-title a:hover,
> >          div.photo-title a:visited {
> >            text-decoration: none;
> >        }
> >
> >        div.attach-table div.attach-row {
> >          clear: both;
> >        }
> >
> >        div.attach-table div.attach-row div {
> >          float: left;
> >          /* margin: 2px;*/
> >        }
> >
> >        p {
> >          clear: both;
> >          padding: 15px 0 3px 0;
> > overflow: hidden;
> >        }
> >
> >        div.ygrp-file {
> >          width: 30px;
> >          valign: middle;
> >        }
> >        div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
> >          text-decoration: none;
> >        }
> >
> >        div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span {
> >          font-weight: normal;
> >        }
> >
> >        div.ygrp-file-title {
> >          font-weight: bold;
> >        }
> >  /* end of attachment style */
> >         --&gt;

> > Its a safe bet that big brother has 100s of more inventive (and far more accurate) ways to monitor you. Cell phones, credit cards, GPS devices, your computer, your (snail) mail, etc. being the obvious ones. When all else fails, they can just monitor you via surveillance cameras all over the city and (now) probably drones.
> >
> > Closing down your yahoo account is going to be a drop in the ocean if you want to avoid monitoring. To be really effective, I would recommend a deserted island somewhere in the middle of the Arctic sea where you cut off all contact with the outside world and grow your own food (assuming the spy satellites wont get you there either) ;-)
> >
> > Just remain the moderator will you! This place runs
> >  because of people like yourself and we are thankful :-)

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Harsh Baste
Hi Drew,

Is this you?

http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/drew-gibson/40/a65/907

I'd be a little careful of guarding my own privacy online before passing judgements to that effect about others on a public forum. For starters I'd remove my company email address from the subscription list.

Might I recommend a Yahoo address - it at least wont trace you back to your workplace (and possibly your home) in Burlington, Ontario Canada.

-H

________________________________
I guess Big Brother IS listening. :-} The message below originally included a quotation for all the surrender-monkeys:
"Due to their excellent understanding of the regional topography and bison behaviour, native people hunted bison by stampeding them over a precipice. They then carved up the carcasses and dragged the pieces to be butchered and processed in the butchering camp set up on the flats beyond the cliffs."
ref: Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump - http://history.alberta.ca/headsmashedin/
On 08/06/13, Drew Gibson  <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Brian,

>thanks for all your efforts over the years in keeping the list alive and well. It was the slug that got me into ARM computing years before it was fashionable and that could not have happened without the invaluable tips and fixes I got from this list.
>Others may feel that just because you're f*ck*d you should roll over and wave the white flag but even a token gesture is worthwhile to remind us all of what is coming down the pipe.
>I respect your decision and wish you well in your future endeavours.
>regards,
>Drew
>On 07/06/13, Harsh  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Its a safe bet that big brother has 100s of more inventive (and far more accurate) ways to monitor you. Cell phones, credit cards, GPS devices, your computer, your (snail) mail, etc. being the obvious ones. When all else fails, they can just monitor you via surveillance cameras all over the city and (now) probably drones.
>>
>>Closing down your yahoo account is going to be a drop in the ocean if you want to avoid monitoring. To be really effective, I would recommend a deserted island somewhere in the middle of the Arctic sea where you cut off all contact with the outside world and grow your own food (assuming the spy satellites wont get you there either) ;-)
>>
>>Just remain the moderator will you! This place runs because of people like yourself and we are thankful :-)
>>
>>-H

but I'm not trying to hide.

I just don't like all the insidious data gathering and the wildly inaccurate inferences made therefrom.

regards,

Drew

Sent from my phone

On 2013-06-09, at 4:34 AM, Harsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> Is this you?
>
> http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/drew-gibson/40/a65/907
>
> I'd be a little careful of guarding my own privacy online before passing judgements to that effect about others on a public forum. For starters I'd remove my company email address from the subscription list.
>
> Might I recommend a Yahoo address - it at least wont trace you back to your workplace (and possibly your home) in Burlington, Ontario Canada.
>
> -H

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

threeeyedtoad-2
Returning to a more on-topic discussion, is the implication that this list
will end without participation of the original moderator?  Can't we just
change moderators?  I find this list to be a valuable resource, and would
like to see it continue...

Thanks.

On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Drew Gibson wrote:

> **
>

> but I'm not trying to hide.
>
> I just don't like all the insidious data gathering and the wildly
> inaccurate inferences made therefrom.
>
> regards,
>
> Drew
>

> Sent from my phone
>
> On 2013-06-09, at 4:34 AM, Harsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Drew,
>
> Is this you?
>
> http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/drew-gibson/40/a65/907
>
> I'd be a little careful of guarding my own privacy online before passing
> judgements to that effect about others on a public forum. For starters I'd
> remove my company email address from the subscription list.
>
> Might I recommend a Yahoo address - it at least wont trace you back to
> your workplace (and possibly your home) in Burlington, Ontario Canada.
>
> -H

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Mike Westerhof (mwester)
There are other moderators.  The list goes on.

This one thanks you for returning this conversation to a more pertinent
line of discussion.  :)

-Mike (mwester)

On 6/9/2013 10:25 AM, M.J. Johnson wrote:

> Returning to a more on-topic discussion, is the implication that this
> list will end without participation of the original moderator?  Can't we
> just change moderators?  I find this list to be a valuable resource, and
> would like to see it continue...
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Drew Gibson wrote:
>
>     __
>
>     but I'm not trying to hide.
>
>     I just don't like all the insidious data gathering and the wildly
>     inaccurate inferences made therefrom.
>
>     regards,
>
>     Drew
>

>     Sent from my phone
>
>     On 2013-06-09, at 4:34 AM, Harsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>     Hi Drew,
>>     Is this you?
>>     http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/drew-gibson/40/a65/907
>>     I'd be a little careful of guarding my own privacy online before
>>     passing judgements to that effect about others on a public forum.
>>     For starters I'd remove my company email address from the
>>     subscription list.
>>     Might I recommend a Yahoo address - it at least wont trace you
>>     back to your workplace (and possibly your home) in Burlington,
>>     Ontario Canada.
>>     -H

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Gregg Levine
On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Mike Westerhof (mwester)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are other moderators.  The list goes on.
>
> This one thanks you for returning this conversation to a more pertinent
> line of discussion.  :)
>
> -Mike (mwester)
>

> On 6/9/2013 10:25 AM, M.J. Johnson wrote:
>>

>> Returning to a more on-topic discussion, is the implication that this
>> list will end without participation of the original moderator?  Can't we
>> just change moderators?  I find this list to be a valuable resource, and
>> would like to see it continue...
>>
>> Thanks.
[Much stuff snipped while listening to Schubert's Unfinished.]
Hello!
I quite agree Mike even though technically I'm only a participant
running a frustrated Pogo Plug.

-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
This is "THE" good excuse to escape from this moderation thinking we're so stupid to trust you!

Will see the truth, and I hope you'll close your Internet access, shut down your telephone line, through away your cell phone etc!...
Good luck!

pf

--- In [hidden email], Inge Arnesen <inge.arnesen@...> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Due to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data I'm
> terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate
> nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that
> could!
>
> all the best,
>
> Bob_tm

Re: Goodbye from a moderator

pxquim
Greetings,

Let me just say that I was amazed to find out that this particular list was moderated.

Having moderated a list before, I tip my hat to all the moderators: you have been doing the best possible moderation work, which is "mostly invisible".

Thanks to you all, you effort is very much appreciated.

- Joaquim Baptista