Media Sharing questions

123

Media Sharing questions

stigslims
Hi peeps, back with some new questions about sharing after running Optware on my Pogoplug for a few months without any problems (Samba, Transmission). To my question, just bought a new TV (smart) which is DLNA compliant but does not see my Pogoplug. Apparently Pogoplug is not DNLA certified/Compliant and is tailored to run on PS3/XBOX 360. My question is if i install for intstance Ushare would this give me DLNA sharing or is this ultimatley a hardware problem?. Tring to get my TV to see my Networked drives and not having much luck. Any help you can offer is greatfully recieved. Thanks.

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
It's a software issue, not hardware. If you're not running any programs
that provide dlna, you can't expect devices that look for it to find it.
So, yes, installing something that provides this functionality would be an
excellent first step.
On Jul 31, 2013 1:02 PM, "stigslims" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi peeps, back with some new questions about sharing after running Optware
> on my Pogoplug for a few months without any problems (Samba, Transmission).
> To my question, just bought a new TV (smart) which is DLNA compliant but
> does not see my Pogoplug. Apparently Pogoplug is not DNLA
> certified/Compliant and is tailored to run on PS3/XBOX 360. My question is
> if i install for intstance Ushare would this give me DLNA sharing or is
> this ultimatley a hardware problem?. Tring to get my TV to see my Networked
> drives and not having much luck. Any help you can offer is greatfully
> recieved. Thanks.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Media Sharing questions

stigslims
Thanks for your input, some research on Ushare is on the cards unless you think there are any better packages?. So all i can take from Pogoplug is that its not proper DNLA (odd for a network storage device.

--- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

> It's a software issue, not hardware. If you're not running any programs
> that provide dlna, you can't expect devices that look for it to find it.
> So, yes, installing something that provides this functionality would be an
> excellent first step.
> On Jul 31, 2013 1:02 PM, "stigslims" <stigslim@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Hi peeps, back with some new questions about sharing after running Optware
> > on my Pogoplug for a few months without any problems (Samba, Transmission).
> > To my question, just bought a new TV (smart) which is DLNA compliant but
> > does not see my Pogoplug. Apparently Pogoplug is not DNLA
> > certified/Compliant and is tailored to run on PS3/XBOX 360. My question is
> > if i install for intstance Ushare would this give me DLNA sharing or is
> > this ultimatley a hardware problem?. Tring to get my TV to see my Networked
> > drives and not having much luck. Any help you can offer is greatfully
> > recieved. Thanks.

Re: Media Sharing questions

Gregg Levine
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM, stigslims <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your input, some research on Ushare is on the cards unless you think there are any better packages?. So all i can take from Pogoplug is that its not proper DNLA (odd for a network storage device.
>
> --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:
>>
>> It's a software issue, not hardware. If you're not running any programs
>> that provide dlna, you can't expect devices that look for it to find it.
>> So, yes, installing something that provides this functionality would be an
>> excellent first step.
>> On Jul 31, 2013 1:02 PM, "stigslims" <stigslim@...> wrote:
>>
>> > **
>> >

>> > Hi peeps, back with some new questions about sharing after running Optware
>> > on my Pogoplug for a few months without any problems (Samba, Transmission).
>> > To my question, just bought a new TV (smart) which is DLNA compliant but
>> > does not see my Pogoplug. Apparently Pogoplug is not DNLA
>> > certified/Compliant and is tailored to run on PS3/XBOX 360. My question is
>> > if i install for intstance Ushare would this give me DLNA sharing or is
>> > this ultimatley a hardware problem?. Tring to get my TV to see my Networked
>> > drives and not having much luck. Any help you can offer is greatfully
>> > recieved. Thanks.

Hello!
That's correct regarding the plug. It's basically from a time before
the intelligent TV came to us. They thought that the video game idea
would work as an overall method. However it didn't work. Your idea to
run an application who makes that feature available is an excellent
one.

Now how'd you get Optware to run on your Plug to begin with?
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
Personally I have an nslu2 slug, running a program called MediaTomb . It
shows up just fine on my ps3 and Windows computers. Ushare sounds like a
similar program, which should work should you get it to run.
On Jul 31, 2013 4:32 PM, "Gregg Levine" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM, stigslims <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks for your input, some research on Ushare is on the cards unless
> you think there are any better packages?. So all i can take from Pogoplug
> is that its not proper DNLA (odd for a network storage device.
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> It's a software issue, not hardware. If you're not running any programs
> >> that provide dlna, you can't expect devices that look for it to find it.
> >> So, yes, installing something that provides this functionality would be
> an
> >> excellent first step.

> Optware
> Transmission).
> but
> question is
> is
> Networked
> >> >

> Hello!
> That's correct regarding the plug. It's basically from a time before
> the intelligent TV came to us. They thought that the video game idea
> would work as an overall method. However it didn't work. Your idea to
> run an application who makes that feature available is an excellent
> one.
>
> Now how'd you get Optware to run on your Plug to begin with?
> -----
> Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Media Sharing questions

adamant628
I do not have a smart TV, so I am using a WDTV live to play media from my
pogoplug (streaming via SAMBA).  It works well, and it is one of the few
devices that plays many video formats including avi, m4p, and mkv (Roku was
pretty limited on the video/audio format combinations).

Re: Media Sharing questions

stigslims
Hi there, managed to install ushare, enabled DLNA, configured a share path, and even enabled the web interface. Pretty sure i got most of it right. Problems are as follows, TV cant see the share yet (although its says its compatible with Plex, WMP so ushare should work) and unable to access the web interface. Any ideas?, i appreciate your probably not a Ushare Guru but any light you may shed would be good, thanks again.

--- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

> Personally I have an nslu2 slug, running a program called MediaTomb . It
> shows up just fine on my ps3 and Windows computers. Ushare sounds like a
> similar program, which should work should you get it to run.
> On Jul 31, 2013 4:32 PM, "Gregg Levine" <gregg.drwho8@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM, stigslims <stigslim@...> wrote:
> > > Thanks for your input, some research on Ushare is on the cards unless
> > you think there are any better packages?. So all i can take from Pogoplug
> > is that its not proper DNLA (odd for a network storage device.
> > >
> > > --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>

> > an

> > Optware
> > Transmission).
> > but
> > question is
> > is
> > Networked
> > >> >

> > Hello!
> > That's correct regarding the plug. It's basically from a time before
> > the intelligent TV came to us. They thought that the video game idea
> > would work as an overall method. However it didn't work. Your idea to
> > run an application who makes that feature available is an excellent
> > one.
> >
> > Now how'd you get Optware to run on your Plug to begin with?
> > -----
> > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
> > "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
Hmm, you mentioned that you enabled the web interface, I'm assuming only
via a configuration file? I would recommend rebooting your device and
ensuring that the ushare application 's daemon starts up (usually there
will be a log of some kind). If it is starting, check the log for errors.
If it isn't, check the method it's trying to use to do so.
On Aug 2, 2013 8:56 AM, "stigslims" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi there, managed to install ushare, enabled DLNA, configured a share
> path, and even enabled the web interface. Pretty sure i got most of it
> right. Problems are as follows, TV cant see the share yet (although its
> says its compatible with Plex, WMP so ushare should work) and unable to
> access the web interface. Any ideas?, i appreciate your probably not a
> Ushare Guru but any light you may shed would be good, thanks again.
>
> --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Personally I have an nslu2 slug, running a program called MediaTomb . It
> > shows up just fine on my ps3 and Windows computers. Ushare sounds like a
> > similar program, which should work should you get it to run.
> > On Jul 31, 2013 4:32 PM, "Gregg Levine" <gregg.drwho8@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **

> > > you think there are any better packages?. So all i can take from
> Pogoplug
> > > is that its not proper DNLA (odd for a network storage device.

> programs
> find it.
> would be
> > > an

> > > Optware
> > > Transmission).
> compliant
> > > but
> > > question is
> or
> > > is
> > > Networked
> greatfully
> > > >> >

> > > Hello!
> > > That's correct regarding the plug. It's basically from a time before
> > > the intelligent TV came to us. They thought that the video game idea
> > > would work as an overall method. However it didn't work. Your idea to
> > > run an application who makes that feature available is an excellent
> > > one.
> > >
> > > Now how'd you get Optware to run on your Plug to begin with?
> > > -----
> > > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
> > > "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Media Sharing questions

stigslims
Scratch that, took a look at mediatomb (as you mentioned it). Installed without any problems (took a while) but all was good. Edited it to run from startup (i think) well it ran from the start command. It also has a web UI right?. Just need some pointers on configuring it and with crossed fingers i should be good. Sorry for the U turn just figured i would be better off with something used by others. Thanks again for your help.

--- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

> Hmm, you mentioned that you enabled the web interface, I'm assuming only
> via a configuration file? I would recommend rebooting your device and
> ensuring that the ushare application 's daemon starts up (usually there
> will be a log of some kind). If it is starting, check the log for errors.
> If it isn't, check the method it's trying to use to do so.
> On Aug 2, 2013 8:56 AM, "stigslims" <stigslim@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Hi there, managed to install ushare, enabled DLNA, configured a share
> > path, and even enabled the web interface. Pretty sure i got most of it
> > right. Problems are as follows, TV cant see the share yet (although its
> > says its compatible with Plex, WMP so ushare should work) and unable to
> > access the web interface. Any ideas?, i appreciate your probably not a
> > Ushare Guru but any light you may shed would be good, thanks again.
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Personally I have an nslu2 slug, running a program called MediaTomb . It
> > > shows up just fine on my ps3 and Windows computers. Ushare sounds like a
> > > similar program, which should work should you get it to run.

> > Pogoplug

> > programs
> > find it.
> > would be

> > compliant
> > or
> > greatfully

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
Yeah, I'm not sure how much you really need to configure, the webserver is
on port 50500 on my setup (not sure if that's default, but you can see on
windows computers the "device url").
Keeping in mind that it's best to use pre-encoded files, since the plug
probably can't handle transcoding all that well.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM, stigslims <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Scratch that, took a look at mediatomb (as you mentioned it). Installed
> without any problems (took a while) but all was good. Edited it to run from
> startup (i think) well it ran from the start command. It also has a web UI
> right?. Just need some pointers on configuring it and with crossed fingers
> i should be good. Sorry for the U turn just figured i would be better off
> with something used by others. Thanks again for your help.
>

> --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, you mentioned that you enabled the web interface, I'm assuming only
> > via a configuration file? I would recommend rebooting your device and
> > ensuring that the ushare application 's daemon starts up (usually there
> > will be a log of some kind). If it is starting, check the log for errors.
> > If it isn't, check the method it's trying to use to do so.
> > On Aug 2, 2013 8:56 AM, "stigslims" <stigslim@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
>

> > > Hi there, managed to install ushare, enabled DLNA, configured a share
> > > path, and even enabled the web interface. Pretty sure i got most of it
> > > right. Problems are as follows, TV cant see the share yet (although its
> > > says its compatible with Plex, WMP so ushare should work) and unable to
> > > access the web interface. Any ideas?, i appreciate your probably not a
> > > Ushare Guru but any light you may shed would be good, thanks again.
> > >
> > > --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>

> . It
> like a

> unless
> > > Pogoplug

> > > programs
> > > find it.
> > > would be

> running
> > > compliant
> sharing
> > > or
> see my
> > > greatfully

> before
> idea

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Media Sharing questions

stigslims
Pretty sure I am on the right track. Took a look at media tomb page and it says the Web link should be displayed upon server start. I didn't get this just an Ok which I figured was right, so either is not started properly or I'm just not putting the right url in. First I need to check is running (not sure how) then find the right url which should be the device ip followed by the port is listening on correct?. If that's wrong can I get the url from media tomb itself?

--- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

> Yeah, I'm not sure how much you really need to configure, the webserver is
> on port 50500 on my setup (not sure if that's default, but you can see on
> windows computers the "device url").
> Keeping in mind that it's best to use pre-encoded files, since the plug
> probably can't handle transcoding all that well.
>

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM, stigslims <stigslim@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Scratch that, took a look at mediatomb (as you mentioned it). Installed
> > without any problems (took a while) but all was good. Edited it to run from
> > startup (i think) well it ran from the start command. It also has a web UI
> > right?. Just need some pointers on configuring it and with crossed fingers
> > i should be good. Sorry for the U turn just figured i would be better off
> > with something used by others. Thanks again for your help.
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, you mentioned that you enabled the web interface, I'm assuming only
> > > via a configuration file? I would recommend rebooting your device and
> > > ensuring that the ushare application 's daemon starts up (usually there
> > > will be a log of some kind). If it is starting, check the log for errors.
> > > If it isn't, check the method it's trying to use to do so.

> > . It
> > like a

> > unless

> > running
> > sharing
> > see my

> > before
> > idea

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
Dunno. Here is my /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf:
## This is a sambel configuration file for the MediaTomb daemon script
## used on Optware

## By default the configuration will be created in /etc/mediatomb

## User defined command line options that may be passed to the server
MT_OPTIONS=""

## MediaTomb will be started on port 50500
MT_PORT="50500"

## MediaTomb will run as mediatomb
MT_USER="root"
MT_GROUP="root"

## Location of the PID file
MT_PIDFILE="/opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid"

## Location of the log file
MT_LOGFILE="/opt/var/log/mediatomb"

## Location of the config file/database
MT_HOME="/opt/etc"
MT_CFGDIR="mediatomb"

----------------
And here is my /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<config version="1" xmlns="http://mediatomb.cc/config/1" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="
http://mediatomb.cc/config/1 http://mediatomb.cc/config/1.xsd">
  <server>
    <ui enabled="yes">
      <accounts enabled="no" session-timeout="30">
        <account user="mediatomb" password="mediatomb"/>
      </accounts>
    </ui>
    <name>StorageSvr</name>
    <udn>uuid:5d6e3d84-bb26-4593-bace-e3a5f539362e</udn>
    <home>/opt/etc/mediatomb</home>
    <webroot>/opt/share/mediatomb/web</webroot>
    <storage>
      <sqlite3 enabled="yes">
        <database-file>mediatomb.db</database-file>
      </sqlite3>
    </storage>
    <protocolInfo extend="yes"/><!-- For PS3 support change to "yes" -->
    <!--
       Uncomment the lines below to get rid of jerky avi playback on the
       DSM320 or to enable subtitles support on the DSM units
    -->
    <!--
    <custom-http-headers>
      <add header="X-User-Agent: redsonic"/>
    </custom-http-headers>

    <manufacturerURL>redsonic.com</manufacturerURL>
    <modelNumber>105</modelNumber>
    -->
    <!-- Uncomment the line below if you have a Telegent TG100 -->
    <!--
       <upnp-string-limit>101</upnp-string-limit>
    -->
  </server>
  <import hidden-files="no">
    <scripting script-charset="UTF-8">
      <common-script>/opt/share/mediatomb/js/common.js</common-script>

<playlist-script>/opt/share/mediatomb/js/playlists.js</playlist-script>
      <virtual-layout type="js">
        <import-script>/opt/share/mediatomb/js/import.js</import-script>
      </virtual-layout>
    </scripting>
    <mappings>
      <extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
        <map from="mp3" to="audio/mpeg"/>
        <map from="ogg" to="application/ogg"/>
        <map from="asf" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
        <map from="asx" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
        <map from="wma" to="audio/x-ms-wma"/>
        <map from="wax" to="audio/x-ms-wax"/>
        <map from="wmv" to="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
        <map from="wvx" to="video/x-ms-wvx"/>
        <map from="wm" to="video/x-ms-wm"/>
        <map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
        <map from="m3u" to="audio/x-mpegurl"/>
        <map from="pls" to="audio/x-scpls"/>
        <map from="flv" to="video/x-flv"/>
        <!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support -->
        <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/>
        <!-- Uncomment the line below for D-Link DSM / ZyXEL DMA-1000 -->
        <!-- <map from="avi" to="video/avi"/> -->
      </extension-mimetype>
      <mimetype-upnpclass>
        <map from="audio/*" to="object.item.audioItem.musicTrack"/>
        <map from="video/*" to="object.item.videoItem"/>
        <map from="image/*" to="object.item.imageItem"/>
      </mimetype-upnpclass>
      <mimetype-contenttype>
        <treat mimetype="audio/mpeg" as="mp3"/>
        <treat mimetype="application/ogg" as="ogg"/>
        <treat mimetype="audio/x-flac" as="flac"/>
        <treat mimetype="image/jpeg" as="jpg"/>
        <treat mimetype="audio/x-mpegurl" as="playlist"/>
        <treat mimetype="audio/x-scpls" as="playlist"/>
        <treat mimetype="audio/x-wav" as="pcm"/>
        <treat mimetype="audio/L16" as="pcm"/>
        <treat mimetype="video/x-msvideo" as="avi"/>
      </mimetype-contenttype>
    </mappings>
  </import>
  <transcoding enabled="no">
    <mimetype-profile-mappings>
      <transcode mimetype="video/x-flv" using="vlcmpeg"/>
      <transcode mimetype="application/ogg" using="vlcmpeg"/>
      <transcode mimetype="application/ogg" using="oggflac2raw"/>
      <transcode mimetype="audio/x-flac" using="oggflac2raw"/>
    </mimetype-profile-mappings>
    <profiles>
      <profile name="oggflac2raw" enabled="no" type="external">
        <mimetype>audio/L16</mimetype>
        <accept-url>no</accept-url>
        <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
        <accept-ogg-theora>no</accept-ogg-theora>
        <agent command="ogg123" arguments="-d raw -f %out %in"/>
        <buffer size="1048576" chunk-size="131072" fill-size="262144"/>
      </profile>
      <profile name="vlcmpeg" enabled="no" type="external">
        <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
        <accept-url>yes</accept-url>
        <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
        <accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
        <agent command="vlc" arguments="-I dummy %in --sout
#transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,fps=25,aenc=ffmpeg,acodec=mpga,ab=192,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=%out}
vlc:quit"/>
        <buffer size="14400000" chunk-size="512000" fill-size="120000"/>
      </profile>
    </profiles>
  </transcoding>
</config>

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM, stigslims <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > windows computers the "device url").
> > Keeping in mind that it's best to use pre-encoded files, since the plug
> > probably can't handle transcoding all that well.
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM, stigslims <stigslim@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
>

> > > Scratch that, took a look at mediatomb (as you mentioned it). Installed
> > > without any problems (took a while) but all was good. Edited it to run
> from
> > > startup (i think) well it ran from the start command. It also has a
> web UI
> > > right?. Just need some pointers on configuring it and with crossed
> fingers
> > > i should be good. Sorry for the U turn just figured i would be better
> off
> > > with something used by others. Thanks again for your help.

Also, my /opt/var/log/mediatomb file reads:
2013-04-01 13:01:13    INFO: Loading configuration from:
/opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2013-04-01 13:01:13    INFO: Checking configuration...
2013-04-01 13:01:14    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to
ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-04-01 13:01:14    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to
ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-04-01 13:01:14    INFO: Setting playlist charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-04-01 13:01:14    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2013-04-01 13:02:07    INFO: Initialized port: 50500
2013-04-01 13:02:07    INFO: Server bound to: 192.168.1.77
2013-04-01 13:02:12    INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following
this link:
2013-04-01 13:02:12    INFO: http://192.168.1.77:50500/
2013-04-03 04:00:24    INFO: MediaTomb shutting down. Please wait...

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Anthony Takata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> it says the Web link should be displayed upon server start. I didn't get
>> this just an Ok which I figured was right, so either is not started
>> properly or I'm just not putting the right url in. First I need to check is
>> running (not sure how) then find the right url which should be the device
>> ip followed by the port is listening on correct?. If that's wrong can I get
>> the url from media tomb itself?
>>
>> --- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah, I'm not sure how much you really need to configure, the webserver
>> is
>> > on port 50500 on my setup (not sure if that's default, but you can see
>> on
>> > windows computers the "device url").
>> > Keeping in mind that it's best to use pre-encoded files, since the plug
>> > probably can't handle transcoding all that well.

Following your example i checked my log file and it appears the problem  lies (keep in mind i dont really have a clue) when the web UI is being launched or port is being opened. Other than that i dont see what else there is. Does this offer any clues?

2013-08-03 23:08:52    INFO: Loading configuration from: /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2013-08-03 23:08:52    INFO: Checking configuration...
2013-08-03 23:08:52    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-03 23:08:52    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-03 23:08:52    INFO: Setting playlist charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-03 23:08:52    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2013-08-03 23:08:52   ERROR: main: upnp error -117
2013-08-03 23:08:52   ERROR: upnp_cleanup: UpnpUnRegisterRootDevice failed
2013-08-04 00:31:09    INFO: Loading configuration from: /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2013-08-04 00:31:09    INFO: Checking configuration...
2013-08-04 00:31:09    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-04 00:31:09    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-04 00:31:09    INFO: Setting playlist charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-04 00:31:09    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2013-08-04 00:31:09   ERROR: main: upnp error -117
2013-08-04 00:31:10   ERROR: upnp_cleanup: UpnpUnRegisterRootDevice failed
> [...]

> > vlc:quit"/>
> >         <buffer size="14400000" chunk-size="512000" fill-size="120000"/>
> >       </profile>
> >     </profiles>
> >   </transcoding>
> > </config>
> >

> > On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM, stigslims <stigslim@...> wrote:
> >
> >> **
> >>

> >> Pretty sure I am on the right track. Took a look at media tomb page and
> >> it says the Web link should be displayed upon server start. I didn't get
> >> this just an Ok which I figured was right, so either is not started
> >> properly or I'm just not putting the right url in. First I need to check is
> >> running (not sure how) then find the right url which should be the device
> >> ip followed by the port is listening on correct?. If that's wrong can I get

sounds like a dependency error. it might be a good idea to look for UPnP
dependency libraries. I'll check my stuff and see if anything pops out.
On Aug 3, 2013 7:38 PM, "stigslims" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > <profile name="oggflac2raw" enabled="no" type="external">
> > > <mimetype>audio/L16</mimetype>
> > > <accept-url>no</accept-url>
> > > <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
> > > <accept-ogg-theora>no</accept-ogg-theora>
> > > <agent command="ogg123" arguments="-d raw -f %out %in"/>
> > > <buffer size="1048576" chunk-size="131072" fill-size="262144"/>
> > > </profile>
> > > <profile name="vlcmpeg" enabled="no" type="external">
> > > <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
> > > <accept-url>yes</accept-url>
> > > <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
> > > <accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
> > > <agent command="vlc" arguments="-I dummy %in --sout
> > >
> #transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,fps=25,aenc=ffmpeg,acodec=mpga,ab=192,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=%out}
> > > vlc:quit"/>
> > > <buffer size="14400000" chunk-size="512000" fill-size="120000"/>

All the dependencies listed in the mediatomb package seem present (if I am looking in the right place. Ipkg status.

> [...]

> > > /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
> > > 2013-04-01 13:01:13 INFO: Checking configuration...
> > > 2013-04-01 13:01:14 INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to
> > > ANSI_X3.4-1968
> > > 2013-04-01 13:01:14 INFO: Setting metadata import charset to
> > > ANSI_X3.4-1968
> > > 2013-04-01 13:01:14 INFO: Setting playlist charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
> > > 2013-04-01 13:01:14 INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
> > > 2013-04-01 13:02:07 INFO: Initialized port: 50500
> > > 2013-04-01 13:02:07 INFO: Server bound to: 192.168.1.77
> > > 2013-04-01 13:02:12 INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following
> > > this link:
> > > 2013-04-01 13:02:12 INFO: http://192.168.1.77:50500/

> > #transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,fps=25,aenc=ffmpeg,acodec=mpga,ab=192,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=%out}

Hi Adam, thanks for your input. Unfortunately I am one of those bloody minded types that won't give up. After buying my nice new TV and firing it up I refuse to not share content with it when I have a pogoplug running Optware not 20 feet from it. I can figure out how to configure servers just get stuck with the errors. I would have thought someone would have an idea on What's going wrong somewhere. But again Thanks for your advice. Cheers

--- In [hidden email], Adam Suhy <adam.suhy@...> wrote:

> I do not have a smart TV, so I am using a WDTV live to play media from my
> pogoplug (streaming via SAMBA).  It works well, and it is one of the few
> devices that plays many video formats including avi, m4p, and mkv (Roku was
> pretty limited on the video/audio format combinations).

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
Sorry I just got busy with real life stuff. ;)
So just to make sure I have everything straight, you have at least the
following packages installed:
*file*, *libexif*, *libstdc++*, *ossp-js*, *sqlite*, *zlib*, *expat*, *
taglib*

You have an */opt/etc/mediatomb.conf* file with the necessary inputs.

And running */opt/bin/mediatomb* results in the following information being
printed to stdin:
2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Loading configuration from:
/opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Checking configuration...
2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to
ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Setting playlist charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2013-08-04 00:31:09 ERROR: main: upnp error -117
2013-08-04 00:31:10 ERROR: upnp_cleanup: UpnpUnRegisterRootDevice failed

Then, I would recommend renaming /opt/etc/mediatomb to reset the
configuration (This should force it to rebuild the databases and a few
other things).
On my system, the mediatomb service is started with the command line:
/opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u root -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l
/opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 50500
I'm assuming the *-d* makes it run in daemon mode, so try it without that
first.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 6:39 AM, stigslims <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi Adam, thanks for your input. Unfortunately I am one of those bloody
> minded types that won't give up. After buying my nice new TV and firing it
> up I refuse to not share content with it when I have a pogoplug running
> Optware not 20 feet from it. I can figure out how to configure servers just
> get stuck with the errors. I would have thought someone would have an idea
> on What's going wrong somewhere. But again Thanks for your advice. Cheers
>

> --- In [hidden email], Adam Suhy <adam.suhy@...> wrote:
> >
> > I do not have a smart TV, so I am using a WDTV live to play media from my
> > pogoplug (streaming via SAMBA). It works well, and it is one of the few
> > devices that plays many video formats including avi, m4p, and mkv (Roku
> was
> > pretty limited on the video/audio format combinations).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Media Sharing questions

stigslims
No sorry needed, i was just pointing out that someone somewhere must have had the same problem, i am greatful of the help. All the dependencies are present. Not sure about  how to rename to rebuild the database. But i did try starting it the way you explained ( without the -d as not to run it as a deamon). All I got was (-sh: /root: Permission denied ) but i have a funny feeling this means something i just dont have a clue about. Again thanks for your help.

--- In [hidden email], Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

> Sorry I just got busy with real life stuff. ;)
> So just to make sure I have everything straight, you have at least the
> following packages installed:
> *file*, *libexif*, *libstdc++*, *ossp-js*, *sqlite*, *zlib*, *expat*, *
> taglib*
>
> You have an */opt/etc/mediatomb.conf* file with the necessary inputs.
>
> And running */opt/bin/mediatomb* results in the following information being
> printed to stdin:
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Loading configuration from:
> /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Checking configuration...
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to
> ANSI_X3.4-1968
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Setting playlist charset to ANSI_X3.4-1968
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
> 2013-08-04 00:31:09 ERROR: main: upnp error -117
> 2013-08-04 00:31:10 ERROR: upnp_cleanup: UpnpUnRegisterRootDevice failed
>
> Then, I would recommend renaming /opt/etc/mediatomb to reset the
> configuration (This should force it to rebuild the databases and a few
> other things).
> On my system, the mediatomb service is started with the command line:
> /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u root -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l
> /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 50500
> I'm assuming the *-d* makes it run in daemon mode, so try it without that
> first.
>

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 6:39 AM, stigslims <stigslim@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Hi Adam, thanks for your input. Unfortunately I am one of those bloody
> > minded types that won't give up. After buying my nice new TV and firing it
> > up I refuse to not share content with it when I have a pogoplug running
> > Optware not 20 feet from it. I can figure out how to configure servers just
> > get stuck with the errors. I would have thought someone would have an idea
> > on What's going wrong somewhere. But again Thanks for your advice. Cheers
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], Adam Suhy <adam.suhy@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I do not have a smart TV, so I am using a WDTV live to play media from my
> > > pogoplug (streaming via SAMBA). It works well, and it is one of the few
> > > devices that plays many video formats including avi, m4p, and mkv (Roku
> > was
> > > pretty limited on the video/audio format combinations).

Re: Media Sharing questions

Anthony Takata
Hmm, permission denied usually means it's trying to access that folder and
flopping on its' face at it.
Are you running mediatomb as root or another user that does not have access
to that folder (or does it even exist)?
Can you paste everything from the console when you try to run it (including
the command line itself)?