Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Ok, I did something really dumb last night. I have a pink Pogoplug v2 with Optware on a usb stick that's I've been using as a lan storage device for my music collection for several years. Recently I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if I could connect to my pogoplug securely over the internet from a remote location (outside the lan) and be able to play my home music files on my remote laptop. The plan was to install sshfs on my Crunchbang laptop so that I could mount my pogoplug music folders remotely. I soon realized that the Dropbear ssh server that is native to my optware doesn't support sshfs. So I would just have to migrate to OpenSSH-server to give me the needed sshfs functionality. I installed openssh with ipkg and set it up to listen for on port 22222 (I didn't want to expose port 22 to the internet with port forwarding). I cautiously left Dropbear listening on port 22 for the time being while I verified that root and user could both ssh to the pogoplug via the new openssh server on 22222. After making sure that everything worked correctly with openssh I uninstalled Dropbear. Things were going great until I rebooted and realized my major blunder... I had forgotten to add an entry to rc.local or rcS to start the ssh daemon at boot. Ouchies! So, you guessed it, no way to ssh in, and no way to fix the problem! I pulled the usb stick and tried to find an autostart.sh or similar file that runs on boot where I could maybe add the missing "/opt/etc/init.d/S40sshd start" command, but I haven't had any luck so far.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could kindly help me to undo this mess I made! Thanks in advance for any thoughts...8-]

-Stevied

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
I guess the only option is to go with the serial cable route, as described in this excellent blog http://blog.qnology.com/2013/10/pogoplug-e02-v2-serial-connection.html. Then I can use my laptop directly to add the "/etc/init.d/S40shhd start" somewhere that it will run on boot. For less than $5 I ordered a pl2303hx usb-to-ttl(rs232) converter and a CD to Soundblaster cable. I report how it all went when the parts arrive. Regards...

-Stevied

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Hello!
That should work. I've gone over similar pages concerning the same
style plug, (mine is in black.) However I'm more interested in how you
managed to get Optware to run on it.
The pages on the regular site are not completely clear on that one.
However what operating system is your laptop running? This is running
Windows Seven. Drivers do not exist for 8, but may exist for Linux and
of course for the Mac.

I normally use FTDI based adapters.

-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM, [hidden email] [nslu2-linux]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess the only option is to go with the serial cable route, as described in this excellent blog. Then I can use my laptop directly to add the "/etc/init.d/S40shhd start" somewhere that it will run on boot. For less than $5 I ordered a pl2303hx usb-to-ttl(rs232) converter and a CD to Soundblaster cable. I report how it all went when the parts arrive. Regards...
>
> -Stevied
>

> ________________________________
> Posted by: [hidden email]
> ________________________________

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Hi, Gregg. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was out of town for a week.

I installed Optware on my pink E02 pogo about 6 years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on exactly which on-line how-to I followed. I know there were a couple nice people on this forum, and also on the now-defunct pogoplugged.com forum that helped me work through any issues I ran into. If I remember correctly the installation procedure for the newer pogoplugs is different.

I have multiple laptops with various versions of windows and linux, but to make things easy I'll probably install the pl2303hx driver on the one with XP. I'm still waiting for the damn thing to come on the slow boat from china. I'll let you know how it all turns out...8-]

-Stevied

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Hi, Gregg. Sorry for the delay. I was away for a week.

It's been at least 5 years since I installed Optware on my pink e02 pogoplug and I'm a bit fuzzy on which on-line instructions I followed. I do remember that the kind folks in this group and in the now-defunct pogoplugged.com forum helped walk me through any issues I encountered. I'm pretty sure though that the procedure for the newer pogoplugs (like your black one) is different.

I have several laptops with various versions of windows and linux, but to make it easy I'll probably install the pl2303 driver on the one with XP. I'm still waiting for that damn adapter to come on the slow boat from china. I'll let you know how it all turns out when I get it. Regards...8-]

-Stevied

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Hello!
Here's a surprise. The cable he used in his blog? Is an oddity, its
colors disagree with the majority of cables and colored wire out
there. I have two specific, and none of them match his.

Further along I've received my two back up plugs, the Pro is running
after a disagreement, the classic (Pink) plug just arrived, and its
guts do agree with that photo naturally.

There's a whole movement afoot to describe how to install and keep
console cables in place on related hardware, not the NSLU2 of course,
but the Seagate Dockstar platform.

My next steps with either of the two, will be deciding what to run on
either of them.....

And say? Did the items you needed arrive yet?
-----

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess the only option is to go with the serial cable route, as described
> in this excellent blog. Then I can use my laptop directly to add the
> "/etc/init.d/S40shhd start" somewhere that it will run on boot. For less
> than $5 I ordered a pl2303hx usb-to-ttl(rs232) converter and a CD to
> Soundblaster cable. I report how it all went when the parts arrive.
> Regards...
>
> -Stevied

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Gregg, I received the pl2303 and the cable a couple days ago and was able to get it working without too much fuss. You're right about the cable. The one I received is different than what was pictured in the howto and only has 3 wires (no yellow) instead of 4. Below is Qui's pictured cable from the article. But my white connector was wired different...

Instead of White-Yellow-Red-Black, mine was wired Red-Black-White (no yellow). I left the white connector as is. The black connector I disassembled using a safety pin as he suggested. Then looking at the above picture I made the the following color substitutions: White->Red; Red->White; Yellow->Black. The idea is to maintain continuity between appropriate pins on the black and white connectors as illustrated in the picture. Hope that's clear enough.

I installed the attached driver on my win xp laptop and set up putty as per the instructions. It worked straight away and I was able to undo my initial blunder by adding a command to start the sshd daemon in file rcS which runs on boot. Now I can use sshfs to mount and play my 4TB of music remotely.

I have one remaining problem though. It only seems to work if I sshfs as the root user:

sshfs -p 22222 root@ip_address: mountpoint_folder --> this works fine

sshfs -p 22222 user@ip_address: mountpoint_folder --> this fails with error: "remote host has disconnected"

An important note: ssh login works fine for both root and user!

Even on an obscure port like 22222 I don't like connecting as root (I would actually like to disable root login), but I can seem get it to work as a regular user. This is my first time using sshfs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-Steved

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Hello!
Someone else should chime in here, but see what what user and group
the entry is assigned to. For example the plugs I have here who're
running normal firmware will only allow the user who set things up to
log in to them.

I'm looking at how to enable the classic Pink one that arrived on
Wednesday here, to run Slackware on ARM.  One of my pet peeves is that
they use the 2.6.22 kernel and that's too old for the mini root file
system images the developers make available...... Oddly enough one of
my better known releases was that of the 11.0 release which is
technically too old for the site. But it does make available a kernel
who's almost in sync with the plug.

Sorry to dump, but that's one of the reasons why I continued to stick
with the groups. The fact that the plug is on their hardware list
makes things work here.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM, [hidden email] [nslu2-linux]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gregg, I received the pl2303 and the cable a couple days ago and was able to get it working without too much fuss. You're right about the cable. The one I received is different than what was pictured in the howto and only has 3 wires (no yellow) instead of 4. Below is Qui's pictured cable from the article. But my white connector was wired different...
>
> Instead of White-Yellow-Red-Black, mine was wired Red-Black-White (no yellow). I left the white connector as is. The black connector I disassembled using a safety pin as he suggested. Then looking at the above picture I made the the following color substitutions: White->Red; Red->White; Yellow->Black. The idea is to maintain continuity between appropriate pins on the black and white connectors as illustrated in the picture. Hope that's clear enough.
>
> I installed the attached driver on my win xp laptop and set up putty as per the instructions. It worked straight away and I was able to undo my initial blunder by adding a command to start the sshd daemon in file rcS which runs on boot. Now I can use sshfs to mount and play my 4TB of music remotely.
>
> I have one remaining problem though. It only seems to work if I sshfs as the root user:
>
> sshfs -p 22222 root@ip_address: mountpoint_folder --> this works fine
>
> sshfs -p 22222 user@ip_address: mountpoint_folder --> this fails with error: "remote host has disconnected"
>
> An important note: ssh login works fine for both root and user!
>
> Even on an obscure port like 22222 I don't like connecting as root (I would actually like to disable root login), but I can seem get it to work as a regular user. This is my first time using sshfs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> -Steved
>

> ________________________________
> Posted by: [hidden email]

Re: Need help restoring ssh access [1 Attachment]

Linux mailing list
Oops, here's the driver I said I attached in the last message. Good thing I don't do this for a living anymore...8-]

Regarding my sshfs as standard user problem, here's what I have for groups/users in /etc/group:

root:x:0:root
ftpgroup:x:1:
steveid:x:501:
fuse:x:2:stevied

Additional info. This behavior persists across multple laptops/netbooks with various versions of linux. So it seems to be something not set up correctly on the pogoplug.

-stevied

Re: Need help restoring ssh access

Linux mailing list
Hello!
I believe so. Do you realize so far our discussions are the only thing
going on within this list?
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]