Quantcast

Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

Linux mailing list
Apologies for the cross-posting... not sure if either of these groups are
particularly active any more.

I've had an NSLU2 successfully Unslung for about 7 years (quite the
workhorse).  This weekend, I suffered a power outage, and wasn't able to
SSH after the Slug came back up.  After some diagnostics, I discovered the
IP address had reset to the factory default (192.168.1.77), and although I
could access the web interface, I couldn't change the IP settings (kept
getting the dreaded "Error: fail to get samba information".)

After poking around, I realized I had this problem...

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation

So... I used telnet to connect to RedBoot (
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot), reset/recreated
the SysConf area (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf), and
re-flashed using Upslug2 to Unslung 6.10.

After all that, I'm successfully Unslung - but can only boot from internal
flash.  I haven't been able to get the system to boot from my existing, 7
year old external flash drive.

What am I missing?  Is there some step I need to do to get the system to
again be okay with booting from my external flash drive?  I don't want to
start from scratch on a new boot disk, since I've configured this system to
work well for my purposes.

Help?

Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

Linux mailing list
Thanks, will give that a go.

Is there any real difference between e2fsck and fsck? This article seems to
indicate not...

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87415/whats-the-difference-between-e2fsck-and-fsck-and-which-one-i-should-use

Thanks again for the quick reply...

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015, Anthony Takata [hidden email]
[nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm going out on a limb, but could it be that it's not mounting because it
> needs to be checked?
> Look into doing an e2fsck on your drive, once there are no errors reboot
> and see if that helps.
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM, 'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');> [nslu2-general]
> <[hidden email]
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>

>> Apologies for the cross-posting... not sure if either of these groups are
>> particularly active any more.
>>
>> I've had an NSLU2 successfully Unslung for about 7 years (quite the
>> workhorse).  This weekend, I suffered a power outage, and wasn't able to
>> SSH after the Slug came back up.  After some diagnostics, I discovered the
>> IP address had reset to the factory default (192.168.1.77), and although I
>> could access the web interface, I couldn't change the IP settings (kept
>> getting the dreaded "Error: fail to get samba information".)
>>
>> After poking around, I realized I had this problem...
>>
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation
>>
>> So... I used telnet to connect to RedBoot (
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot),
>> reset/recreated the SysConf area (
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf), and re-flashed
>> using Upslug2 to Unslung 6.10.
>>
>> After all that, I'm successfully Unslung - but can only boot from
>> internal flash.  I haven't been able to get the system to boot from my
>> existing, 7 year old external flash drive.
>>
>> What am I missing?  Is there some step I need to do to get the system to
>> again be okay with booting from my external flash drive?  I don't want to
>> start from scratch on a new boot disk, since I've configured this system to
>> work well for my purposes.
>>
>> Help?

Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

Linux mailing list
And I should be able to run fsck from a telnet session (running off the
Unslung firmware)?

Sorry for the obvious question... it's been a long time since I didn't have
a system that I'd modified on an external flash drive...

Thanks again...

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Anthony Takata [hidden email]