Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

General mailing list
Apologies for the cross-posting... not sure if either of these groups are
particularly active any more.

I've had an NSLU2 successfully Unslung for about 7 years (quite the
workhorse).  This weekend, I suffered a power outage, and wasn't able to
SSH after the Slug came back up.  After some diagnostics, I discovered the
IP address had reset to the factory default (192.168.1.77), and although I
could access the web interface, I couldn't change the IP settings (kept
getting the dreaded "Error: fail to get samba information".)

After poking around, I realized I had this problem...

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation

So... I used telnet to connect to RedBoot (
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot), reset/recreated
the SysConf area (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf), and
re-flashed using Upslug2 to Unslung 6.10.

After all that, I'm successfully Unslung - but can only boot from internal
flash.  I haven't been able to get the system to boot from my existing, 7
year old external flash drive.

What am I missing?  Is there some step I need to do to get the system to
again be okay with booting from my external flash drive?  I don't want to
start from scratch on a new boot disk, since I've configured this system to
work well for my purposes.

Help?

Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

General mailing list
I'm going out on a limb, but could it be that it's not mounting because it
needs to be checked?
Look into doing an e2fsck on your drive, once there are no errors reboot
and see if that helps.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM, 'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]
[nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies for the cross-posting... not sure if either of these groups are
> particularly active any more.
>
> I've had an NSLU2 successfully Unslung for about 7 years (quite the
> workhorse).  This weekend, I suffered a power outage, and wasn't able to
> SSH after the Slug came back up.  After some diagnostics, I discovered the
> IP address had reset to the factory default (192.168.1.77), and although I
> could access the web interface, I couldn't change the IP settings (kept
> getting the dreaded "Error: fail to get samba information".)
>
> After poking around, I realized I had this problem...
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation
>
> So... I used telnet to connect to RedBoot (
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot), reset/recreated
> the SysConf area (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf),
> and re-flashed using Upslug2 to Unslung 6.10.
>
> After all that, I'm successfully Unslung - but can only boot from internal
> flash.  I haven't been able to get the system to boot from my existing, 7
> year old external flash drive.
>
> What am I missing?  Is there some step I need to do to get the system to
> again be okay with booting from my external flash drive?  I don't want to
> start from scratch on a new boot disk, since I've configured this system to
> work well for my purposes.
>
> Help?

Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

General mailing list
Thanks, will give that a go.

Is there any real difference between e2fsck and fsck? This article seems to
indicate not...

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87415/whats-the-difference-between-e2fsck-and-fsck-and-which-one-i-should-use

Thanks again for the quick reply...

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015, Anthony Takata [hidden email]
[nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm going out on a limb, but could it be that it's not mounting because it
> needs to be checked?
> Look into doing an e2fsck on your drive, once there are no errors reboot
> and see if that helps.
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM, 'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');> [nslu2-general]
> <[hidden email]
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>

>> Apologies for the cross-posting... not sure if either of these groups are
>> particularly active any more.
>>
>> I've had an NSLU2 successfully Unslung for about 7 years (quite the
>> workhorse).  This weekend, I suffered a power outage, and wasn't able to
>> SSH after the Slug came back up.  After some diagnostics, I discovered the
>> IP address had reset to the factory default (192.168.1.77), and although I
>> could access the web interface, I couldn't change the IP settings (kept
>> getting the dreaded "Error: fail to get samba information".)
>>
>> After poking around, I realized I had this problem...
>>
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation
>>
>> So... I used telnet to connect to RedBoot (
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot),
>> reset/recreated the SysConf area (
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf), and re-flashed
>> using Upslug2 to Unslung 6.10.
>>
>> After all that, I'm successfully Unslung - but can only boot from
>> internal flash.  I haven't been able to get the system to boot from my
>> existing, 7 year old external flash drive.
>>
>> What am I missing?  Is there some step I need to do to get the system to
>> again be okay with booting from my external flash drive?  I don't want to
>> start from scratch on a new boot disk, since I've configured this system to
>> work well for my purposes.
>>
>> Help?

Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

General mailing list
I think fsck would call e2fsck after it detects the file system. Shouldn't
make a difference.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM, 'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]
[nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, will give that a go.
>
> Is there any real difference between e2fsck and fsck? This article seems
> to indicate not...
>

> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87415/whats-the-difference-between-e2fsck-and-fsck-and-which-one-i-should-use
>
> Thanks again for the quick reply...
>

> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015, Anthony Takata [hidden email]
> [nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I'm going out on a limb, but could it be that it's not mounting because
>> it needs to be checked?
>> Look into doing an e2fsck on your drive, once there are no errors reboot
>> and see if that helps.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM, 'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]
>> [nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Apologies for the cross-posting... not sure if either of these groups
>>> are particularly active any more.
>>>
>>> I've had an NSLU2 successfully Unslung for about 7 years (quite the
>>> workhorse).  This weekend, I suffered a power outage, and wasn't able to
>>> SSH after the Slug came back up.  After some diagnostics, I discovered the
>>> IP address had reset to the factory default (192.168.1.77), and although I
>>> could access the web interface, I couldn't change the IP settings (kept
>>> getting the dreaded "Error: fail to get samba information".)
>>>
>>> After poking around, I realized I had this problem...
>>>
>>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation
>>>
>>> So... I used telnet to connect to RedBoot (
>>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot),
>>> reset/recreated the SysConf area (
>>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf), and re-flashed
>>> using Upslug2 to Unslung 6.10.
>>>
>>> After all that, I'm successfully Unslung - but can only boot from
>>> internal flash.  I haven't been able to get the system to boot from my
>>> existing, 7 year old external flash drive.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?  Is there some step I need to do to get the system to
>>> again be okay with booting from my external flash drive?  I don't want to
>>> start from scratch on a new boot disk, since I've configured this system to
>>> work well for my purposes.
>>>
>>> Help?

Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

General mailing list
And I should be able to run fsck from a telnet session (running off the
Unslung firmware)?

Sorry for the obvious question... it's been a long time since I didn't have
a system that I'd modified on an external flash drive...

Thanks again...

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Anthony Takata [hidden email]
[nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think fsck would call e2fsck after it detects the file system. Shouldn't
> make a difference.
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM, 'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]
> [nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Thanks, will give that a go.
>>
>> Is there any real difference between e2fsck and fsck? This article seems
>> to indicate not...
>>

>> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87415/whats-the-difference-between-e2fsck-and-fsck-and-which-one-i-should-use
>>
>> Thanks again for the quick reply...
>>

>> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015, Anthony Takata [hidden email]
>> [nslu2-general] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm going out on a limb, but could it be that it's not mounting because
>>> it needs to be checked?
>>> Look into doing an e2fsck on your drive, once there are no errors reboot
>>> and see if that helps.

Re: Unable to get Unslung to existing external flash drive

General mailing list
If I recall correctly, yes you should be able to.
I remember having to do it some time ago when I was in a similar situation.

Just make sure it's in "fixing" mode, and afterwards make sure it mounts,
then after rebooting it should come back up.
On Feb 18, 2015 7:55 AM, "'M.J. Johnson' [hidden email]