First, I hope -general is an ok place for this. If not I will move to
I'm relatively new to NSLU2's; in fact, mine should be arriving today.
:-) But I've spent the past week or so reading all sorts of entries
over at the wiki, and I'm still not 100% certain what to do.
Here's a list of the things I want to do with my slug:
- set up automatic backups from a couple of PC's and
macs on a nightly basis using something like rsync
- i have a usb2 drive that i currently use for backups,
and it would be great if I could use that off one
of the ports without having to reformat and lose
the data currently there. but if this is not possible,
I can move it all to the new drive that is coming
- move all my music over to a drive off the slug and
run the itunes server
- i perfer setting up nfs and not smb to mount the drive(s)
from remote locations
- set up an ftp server and limit access to a couple of
- ideally, I would like to be able to take at least one
of the drives off the slug, and plug it into either
a mac or pc via usb2 and use it directly without
- i'd like to be able to "mirror" the data, either to a
2nd drive on the slug, or to a 3rd drive using a usb
hub (see next item). this would be a drive i could keep
off-site and just sync every month or so. (alternatively,
i may just look to rsync it to a server on the net)
- finally, a longer term goal is to be able to use a usb hub
and have more than 2 drives and potentially other usb devices.
it looks like this is not yet (fully?) supported with unslung?
I do like the idea of debian, but that looks like a fair amount of
install work when compared to unslung. I know in the future this may
not be the case...