Quantcast

dead nslu2

Linux mailing list
hi there, my nslu2 when power up bliks only ethernet led, no ready/status led, cant ping on 192.168.1.77 and cant put it on upgrade mode, ready/status led wont turn on for nothing....any help ?

 thanks

RE: dead nslu2 [1 Attachment]

Linux mailing list
There’s a very good chance it is the power supply.  Suggest to test with a volt metre,  should be 5 volts.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

tested it now....the power supply is good 5V DC...i dont know what more i can do...

RE: dead nslu2

Linux mailing list
tested it now....the power supply is good 5V DC...i dont know what more i can do...

Re: dead nslu2

Linux mailing list
Even if the power supply shows 5V, it may be bad.
Try with a different power supply.

VoIP Embedded, Inc.
http://www.voipembedded.com

Re: dead nslu2

Linux mailing list
Thanks, i will test it tomorrow, hope you are right! i will give the feedback

Re: dead nslu2

Linux mailing list
On 26/04/16 22:02, [hidden email] [nslu2-linux] wrote:
[...]
> tested it now....the power supply is good 5V DC...i dont know what more
> i can do...

Make sure the power supply is actually powering the NSLU2 before you
measure it (the voltage may drop under load).

The NSLU2 power supplies are notoriously bad, and nearly all reports of
dead hardware have turned out to be because the power supply has failed.

I have seen people reporting that if you plug a powered USB hub into the
NSLU2, the shoddy USB wiring in the NSLU2 will let you power it from the
hub without needing a real power supply it all. If you have one, that
might be worth trying. No promises, though.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous --- and I mean *nothing*

Re: dead nslu2

Linux mailing list
If you have problems with your NSLU2 booting up properly, there might be several reasons (including corrupted nonvolatile memory), but power supply is probably most common. Checking the 5V power supply without load does not always help in locating the problem. Power supplies with bad electrolytic capacitors may drop in voltage under load, while appearing "okay" with nothing else connected than the voltage meter.
Also, it could be helpful to check the NSLU2 PCB for discoloration from heat, or visibly "blown" electrolytic capacitors, too.

- Sebastian