ipkg install says "No space left on device"

ipkg install says "No space left on device"

General mailing list

 I am trying to install new packages on my pogoplug (E02) using ipkg. previously (about a year ago) it worked just fine. Now ipkg complains that "No space left on device".
 optware is running on a USB stick with 8 GB capacity. df shows that only 32% of the space is in use. There should be no space issues.

 Here are more details:
 suppose I run "ipkg install coreutils". i get the following error:

 ipkg_conf_init: Failed to create temporary directory `(null)': No space left on device

 if I run "ipkg install coreutils -t /tmp" I get the errors shown below (these are just the last few in a long list that all say the same).

 adding "-force_space" to the end of the ipkg command does not help.

 I'm very new to optware and would appreciate any help with this issue.
 cheers

 /opt/bin/update-alternatives: line 61: /opt/lib/ipkg/alternatives/who: No space left on device
 /opt/bin/update-alternatives: line 61: /opt/lib/ipkg/alternatives/whoami: No space left on device
 /opt/bin/update-alternatives: line 61: /opt/lib/ipkg/alternatives/yes: No space left on device
 postinst script returned status 1
 ERROR: coreutils.postinst returned 1
 ipkg_conf_write_status_files: Can't open status file: //opt/lib/ipkg/status for writing: No space left on device
 pkg_write_filelist pkg=coreutils returned 28
 Successfully terminated.
 Collected errors:
 Could not open //opt/lib/ipkg/info/coreutils.list for writing: No space left on device

 Could not open //opt/lib/ipkg/info/coreutils.list for writing: No space left on device

Re: ipkg install says "No space left on device"

General mailing list
Just in case anyone else has this problem: I deleted the .cedata folder and the problem went away. Also the USB flash drive become accessible through the web UI once I did this. Apparently the indexing process was not working properly and needlessly generating many files that where taking up a lot of space.

 'Alim

Re: ipkg install says "No space left on device"

General mailing list
Glad you got it figured out!
On Jun 4, 2014 9:13 AM, "[hidden email] [nslu2-general]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just in case anyone else has this problem: I deleted the .cedata folder
> and the problem went away. Also the USB flash drive become accessible
> through the web UI once I did this. Apparently the indexing process was not
> working properly and needlessly generating many files that where taking up
> a lot of space.
>
> 'Alim

Re: ipkg install says "No space left on device"

General mailing list
Not sure what the problem is...or what you've tried so far. I guess if I was having this issue, I'd start by making sure the ownership of /opt ( and it's subdirectories) was root and that root had write access. You might also check the file system on your usb stick. The latter is easiest to do on another linux system.