latest opkg feeds for slugosbe?

wetstreams
I am trying to re-use a slug for a new project. It has slugosbe 5.3beta running.

ipkg and opkg source points to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/. I see that was last updated in 2009.

If I try to use newer feeds like http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugosbe/cross/stable/ they do not work - I get magic errors from gzip. It appears they end in "armeb.ipk" instead of "armv5teb.ipk".

Are there any newer feeds I can use? I have looked at a lot of pages and sites for this, no useful information.

Should I try a different OS or hardware?

Re: latest opkg feeds for slugosbe?

Ovidiu Sas-3
I'm have a slug running slugosbe 5.3beta.
I setup optware on it and I'm using everything from optware:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

VoIP Embedded, Inc.
http://www.voipembedded.com

Re: latest opkg feeds for slugosbe?

wetstreams
Interesting. If I edit /etc/opkg/cross-feed.conf to
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable

and then say:

root@slug3816:/# opkg install lighttpd
Installing lighttpd (1.4.32-1) to root...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable/lighttpd_1.4.32-1_armeb.ipk
gunzip: short read
gunzip: invalid magic
package lighttpd suggests installing e2fsprogs
package lighttpd suggests installing libxml2
package lighttpd suggests installing lua
package lighttpd suggests installing sqlite
package lighttpd suggests installing openldap-libs
package lighttpd suggests installing mysql
gunzip: invalid magic
gunzip: short read
gunzip: invalid magic
can't get //usr/lib/opkg/info/lighttpd.control open for read
gunzip: invalid magic
Configuring lighttpd
Collected errors:
 * Unable to open the control file in  set_flags_from_control
root@slug3816:/#

Any idea what might be wrong?

>________________________________

Mike Westerhof (mwester)
Yes, optware is installed with the *ipkg* utility, which is similar but
not identical to the *opkg* utility.  I'm actually surprised it got that
far!

f you don't have ipkg installed on your slugos system, refer to the wiki
for the info you'll need.

-Mike (mwester)

On 5/26/2013 9:35 PM, wetstreams wrote:

> Interesting. If I edit /etc/opkg/cross-feed.conf to
> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable
>
> and then say:
>
> root@slug3816:/# opkg install lighttpd
> Installing lighttpd (1.4.32-1) to root...
> Downloading
> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable/lighttpd_1.4.32-1_armeb.ipk
> gunzip: short read
> gunzip: invalid magic
> package lighttpd suggests installing e2fsprogs
> package lighttpd suggests installing libxml2
> package lighttpd suggests installing lua
> package lighttpd suggests installing sqlite
> package lighttpd suggests installing openldap-libs
> package lighttpd suggests installing mysql
> gunzip: invalid magic
> gunzip: short read
> gunzip: invalid magic
> can't get //usr/lib/opkg/info/lighttpd.control open for read
> gunzip: invalid magic
> Configuring lighttpd
> Collected errors:
>   * Unable to open the control file in  set_flags_from_control
> root@slug3816:/#
>
> Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks, that took care of it. Still learning about the slugos and was confused by one of the comments on the web site.

Re: latest opkg feeds for slugosbe? - setting up gcc

wetstreams
A follow up on this issue. Let me explain where I am:

I have a slug I used for a project a year or two ago. I loaded slugos5.3be using the binary on the website, then I loaded lighttpd using apparently opkg pointing to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/. This worked great.

That project is over, and I want to reuse the slug for a new project involving talking to a custom USB interface board. I have that working as well.

Following this mail thread, I setup ipkg to point to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable. I did "opkg remove" on most of what I had installed before. I did "ipkg install" of python, perl, make, lighttpd.

So, what's the problem? If I read the website, there are how-tos that offer information , but some of it seems obsolete. For example, I needed to compile a C program. If I look on the website, there are instructions on how to setup a native toolchain such as http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugOSNativeCompileEnvironment. The packages mention are not available in either of these repos.

So, what I did was "opkg install gcc" and "opkg install gcc-symlinks". (gcc doesn't seem to be in the optware repo) I downloaded libusb 1.0.9, ran configure, make, make install and then compiled and linked my C code with /usr/local/libusb-1.0.a. This is working OK.

So my question is, if I don't want to rebuild packages, just write my own code, am I doing the right thing here? Is there a better way to set up gcc?