rsync over SSH or NFS

Linux mailing list
I am using the nslu2 having installed Debian Wheezy on the attached USB hard disk. Everything works well. I use the nslu2 for data backup.

Can anyone help me to decide what kind of connection I should use.
I set up both SSH and NFS server on the nslu2. Both are working.

I supposed NFS to be faster but now I am not shure. It seems to me that rsync may be not faster over NFS than over SSH. I use the nslu2 only on my private network. Security aspects are not relevant.

Any statement is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Ferdinand

Re: rsync over SSH or NFS

Linux mailing list
rsync over ssh:
Checksum calculation of differences is done without transferring data ->
fast
Changed data transferred with encryption -> slow

rsync over nfs:
Checksum calculation done remotely, i.e data transferred to nfs client
-> slow
Changed data transferred unencrypted -> fast

rsync with rsync server:
Checksum calculation of differences is done without transferring data ->
fast
Changed data transferred unencrypted -> fast

So, best will be if you start an rsync server on the nslu2 and use the
native rsync protocol.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: